View Poll Results: Who is the greatest guitarist ever?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Eric Clapton

1 5.56%
  • Jeff Beck

0 0%
  • Joe Satriani

0 0%
  • Carlos Santana

3 16.67%
  • Jimi Hendrix

3 16.67%
  • Jimmy Page

3 16.67%
  • Jeff Beck

0 0%
  • Stevie Ray Vaughan

3 16.67%
  • Eddie Van Halen

0 0%
  • None of the above (write in vote)

5 27.78%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here we go...Guitarists!

Here we go...Guitarists!

Okay...there are only 10 slots available...1 has to be a "write in" Of the other 9 some are "gimmes"...I will try to put in some generic "greatests" as I can...please understand that I could put in 50 or even 100 if the space was provided..

Okay..that was miserable to put together...my apologies to fans of:
    Yngwie Malsteem (spelling??)
    Randy Rhodes
    Kurt Cobain
    Slash
    Steve Vai
    Steve Howe
    Alex Lifeson
    BB King
    Randy Johnson
    etc
    etc
    etc
    etc....
    Last edited by [AK?]The Purchaser; 08-29-2004 at 10:28 AM.

Who is Nuts and Abbadon? [AK]StitchJones's Avatar
    Zack Wylde (Ozzy)
    Alex Skolnick (Testament)
    Kerry King (SLAYER)
    David Gilmore (Pink Floyd)
    Roger Waters (Pink Floyd)

Here since the Beginning HitMan's Avatar
    "Greatest" guitar player is hendrix.

"Best" is another story.

Easy to confuse the two, however
    The HitMan
    -HM

Satriani is a master.

Sorry, I gotta go with my man Jimmy Page on this one..

I grew up on Led Zepplin.. in fact its shocking that I'm not more like Stitch..
    lol, <3

Retired EQ, WoW Player.

"I sharded Thunderfury!" [AK]Camelwalk's Avatar
    A little bias on this one, and i am sorry not to many of you have listen to, but one of the greatest is Trey Anastasio for Phish. He is an aboulut mad man on the guitar. So unique, so visionary, I wish I could post MP3's! Can I?
    Anyway Jimi H., Page, B.B, and pre-regilion Santana! Rock on Guys! Who could forget Stevie Ray! So many so little time.

Quote Originally Posted by [AK]Slaughter

count your blessings buddy
    "]

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Executive Officer

This is a ridiculous question. It should be specified that we're talking about the greatest rock/blues guitarist ever, since people around here seem to think that the only music of any consequence is rock. The greatest guitarist award would undoubtedly go to a classical guitar virtuoso like Andres Segovia, Christopher Parkening, Julian Bream, or a member of the legendary Romero family. Frankly, the vast majority of well-known rock guitarists simply are not capable of playing the classical guitar repertoire with any degree of proficiency, nor do most of them possess the kind of discipline or musical knowledge required of a guitar virtuoso. Honestly, how many of them have time to diligently study music and practice their technique between banging groupies and shooting up? Comparing a great rock guitarist like Eddie Van Halen, for example, to a classical guitar virtuoso is like comparing Britney Spears to Joan Sutherland (a legendary operatic soprano, for those unfamiliar with her work), or Tori Amos to Martha Argerich (the greatest living female piano virtuoso). In other words, there is no comparison. I think there's also a very good possibility that the most celebrated jazz guitarists (Wes Montgomery, Charlie Christian, Django Reinhardt, etc.) might stand a chance against the likes of Beck, Page, or Cobain (give me a break). Country/western (*gag*) has also produced some greats.

Of those guitarists available in the poll, I would say that SRV is the most talented, while Hendrix is the most consequential and influential (followed closely by Clapton). Of course, there would not have been a Hendrix, Clapton, or SRV without Robert Johnson.

Quote Originally Posted by [AK]Slaughter

Grow a Goatee and listen to SLAYER my son!

Quote Originally Posted by [AK]Kidd
    count your blessings buddy
    he he he.......

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

"This place is like someone's memory of a town, and the memory is fading. "
    I voted for Santana simply because he defined a genre. Palooka is correct, however...this is too broad a topic for such a simple poll.
    The sun has fallen down
    And the billboards are all leering
    And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles.

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Executive Officer

Not to sound like a hippie, but I agree that Tres Anastasio should be in the running, not to mention the even greater (at least as far as influence goes) Jerry Garcia.

While I love B.B. King, who seems to be popular here, and recognize his huge influence over multiple generations of electric blues guitarists, which may certainly make him the "greatest," I don't think he comes close to being the most talented electric blues guitarist. When you compare B.B. to guys like T-Bone Walker, SRV, Albert Collins, Buddy Guy, Albert King, and Robert Cray, his improvisational skill just doesn't compete.

Illusive Late Poster Bassiswild's Avatar
    I have to throw my hat in on this one. As a big fan of Carlos I voted for him. I agree that a lot of the classicla players could play circles around most of the guitarist listed, but I have to interject here. A lot of Heavy Metal/Rock is based off of classical music from what I have noticed. That is why it blends so well when they play with a backing symphony.

I am a huge Megadeth fan and Dave Mustain and his guitarist Marty Friedman used to duel on stage while playing classical pieces. One piece that I remember them playing together was Fur Elise still not a classical guitar piece but all in all a great acomplishment for two guitarist to be going back and forth playing that live with out any mistakes. At least none in Orlando. At last I heard Marty has left Megadeth to concentrate more on playing and recording classical guitar.

Back to the point at hand a good surver to say the least but with everyones different tastes in music and what not it is hard to really get a true feel for who the best guitarist is, but in all fun this is a great survery to have some fun with and to share our opinions with each other on. Kudos to you Purchaser for thinking of this and for getting us to really open up about who we enjoy to listen to and think of as a good guitarist and also bassist.

The sound is all about the wood and the pickups. Bartolini all the time...

David Gilmore. nuff said. (please don't let Stich see me agreeing with him, oh please please please lol) Seeing Pink Floyd in concert is my dream concert. Think they will ever come to Montana? We could pack a rodeo arena with tens and tens of people!
    "]

Sooooo.........where's the drummer poll?