Thread: New Patch

Question New Patch

Picked this up off the news section on T2:

Patch Release Announcement
    NEWS 396914 Patch Release Announcement>[comments (23]</a>
    Posted by: T2 Staff on 12-JUN-2001 17:22:19

Dynamix and Sierra will release an optimization patch for Tribes 2 tomorrow morning (approx. 6am PST on 6/13) that will significantly improve game performance on all systems, including ones with Voodoo video cards. Overall performance should improve for everyone across the board.

We knew that creating the kind of gameplay we envisioned would push the limits of current hardware. Starsiege Tribes pioneered organized team combat and Tribes 2 continues to define cooperative multiplayer games, in terms of community, vehicles, gameplay, or even in raw action. In some cases, the best way to improve performance is still with a hardware upgrade. Tribes 2 is specifically designed to take advantage of advanced processor and video power, so the better the system, the better the performance.

-----------
    Dr_K

------------------
    Lead me not into Temptation......
    for I shall find it myself.

[This message has been edited by [AK]Dr_K (edited 06-12-2001).]

With this patch, people are auto-inserted into the pilot seat of the vehicle they build. ...among many, many other things.

August Knights

Has the full readme been released yet? I have never yet found the official source for those patch readmes.

August Knights

Thanks, Squidly. Those are some big changes they're talking about. I guess we'll see this patch on Friday?

Thank goodness they fixed Caldera! I quit playing that map once I realized that the defenders could mortar spam the attackers' vehicle pad. I don't know what they did to it, but they couldn't have made it any worse.

Anybody have any idea what they mean by "targeting laser prediction should be better now?" What about "the jetpack effect was reverted back to the old effect?"

Extra range on AA turrets if you put out those sensors. After the last patch, when they extended the pulse sensor range, it's clear that the devs really, really want you to put those pulse sensors out.

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

"This place is like someone's memory of a town, and the memory is fading. "
    It's out NOW NOW NOW!!

World's Worst Speller Widowmaker's Avatar

ColorLightbulb

I hope they did not "optimize" framerates they way they did before by adding mass fog to make it impossible to fly.

[AK]Widowmaker

[This message has been edited by [AK]Widowmaker (edited 06-13-2001).]

Patch 23115 applied as 5:50PM PDT (assuming it comes up okay...). Enjoy. Contact me immediately if something is awry at practice time...

[AK]Zorro

Chief Operations Officer
    <a href="http://www.augustknights.com" target="_blank">AugustKnights.com</a> WizOp

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

"This place is like someone's memory of a town, and the memory is fading. "

PlainHeart

- (bug fix) Fixed an authentication hole that allowed arbitrary IP connections to a LAN server. The policy now is: LAN servers will disallow any connections from IP addresses that do not match the Class B network address of the server (or match one of them, in a multihomed server). So if your server's address is 12.13.14.15, clients from 12.13.*.* will be considered, but clients from 12.12.*.* will be immediately rejected. In addition, a LAN server will only allow 4 unique Class C ids at any one time. This should be sufficiently lenient for even the largest LAN parties, but should eliminate the auth hole.

- (bug fix) Fixed a server crash on mission change when the last human player leaves the game in mid cycle.

- (bug fix) Fixed a bug that could reset your Shape Detail setting to max

- (bug fix) Client join message name correction

- (bug fix) All known in-game Chat HUD bugs are fixed (partial lines from paging up/down and resize issues, etc.).

- (bug fix) Infinite missile lock-on sound bug is fixed. Dead. Finito. No more. Pushing up the daisies.

- (bug fix) Stitched up a hole associated with one of the base shapes. Small fry compared to the memory leaks.

- (bug fix) Found a particle crash issue and plugged it up good.

- (bug fix) Fixed a shield impact internal compile error that was crunching frame rate.

- (bug fix) Turns out we tweaked it so inventory stations were counting as turrets for turret placement purposes. D'oh. Fixed.

- (bug fix) A rare crash that occurred with the Radeon VE card has been resolved.

- (bug fix) Fixed a crash that could occur when a flare grenade was released when inside a force field.

- (bug fix) Deployable turrets (spider and spike) and Deployable inv stations now do damage in their explosion when they are destroyed.

- (optimization) The following missions were refined in order to optimize framerate:
    Alcatraz
    Caldera
    Flashpoint
    Gauntlet
    IceBound
    Insalubria
    Overreach
    Respite
    Sirocco

- (optimization) Adjusted the LOD of the logo projectors found in CnH missions.

- (optimization) Changed object shield shapes from the form-fitting forcefields into a less poly-intensive dome effect. Also gave shields a lower memory profile.

- (optimization) Changed the way the clouds' planes are clipped. Sky's the limit, right?

- (optimization) Missile sound script calls moved from script into code for faster processing.

- (memory leak) Fixed a large memory leak. This plus the other leaks mentioned here should finally put the nail in the coffin on the "degrading server performance" issue.

- (memory leak) Fixed a memory leak associated with the pretty lightning effects on maps like Casern Cavite.memory leaks:

- (memory leak) Fixed a memory leak in our fancy text list control and the gui text list.

- (memory leak) Fixed a memory leak involving memory use and resource allocation.

- (improvement) Targeting laser prediction should be better now.

- (improvement) You can specify a server's IP address manually at the join screen

- (improvement) You can now specify "-password " on the command line to join a server that requires a password.

- (improvement) Heavy armors are tougher against snipers. You now require four headshots or five body shots to kill a Juggernaut with a laser rifle.

- (improvement) Footspeed of all armors increased slightly, as well as a minor boost to jetpack performance. Some improvements made to air resistance for mediums and heavy armors (very subtle).

- (improvement) The jetpack effect was reverted back to the old effect (by popular demand).

- (improvement) A Chat HUD message has been added that is displayed whenever you try to deploy a mine, but your team's maximum number of mines has already been deployed. Previously, the mine would just blow up and not explain why it detonated. Now, it still blows up, but tells you why it happened.

- (improvement) Polished up the health meter on the HUD so when you're still alive, it displays a visible sliver of positive health.

- (improvement) Made framerate and gameplay changes to Caldera. The attackers' base has been moved farther from the defenders, and the switch has been put in one of the upper chambers, while the stations are located separately from the generators. The changes should fix a serious defensive advantage.

- (improvement) After you buy a vehicle, you now fade into the driver's seat if your armor and pack make you an eligible pilot/driver.

- (improvement) Added a "rogue" mine message so that if you are killed by a mine laid by someone who has left the building, the death message is more accurate.

- (improvement) Increased speed of belly turret projectiles so that it is more effective in general (especially for air defense).

- (improvement) Modified name tags of vehicles when you place your reticle over them. Names are now more consistent and descriptive.

- (improvement) Missile and AA turrets now have a longer maximum range (you'll still need to deploy sensors to get this added range, but they can fire farther if you do). They also react more quickly to available targets.

- (community) The "compose email", "forum post", and "news submission" windows are now resizable and movable.

August Knights

I only got a little time with T2 last night, but be aware that they did more than 'optimize framerate' on the listed maps. They talked about the changes to Caldera, which I didn't get to see. But they radically overhauled Gauntlet, too. There are now only two generator towers, instead of five. That's a major gameplay change.

The change to Icebound was minor, as far as I could see. They cut the attackers' inv stations on the pad from four to two. It means that a defensive sniper attacking them has an easier time. It's a minor gameplay change.

Anybody notice major changes on any other maps?

I havent looked at the map changes yet, but I thought the jetpack sound was diffrent.

- (bug fix) Deployable turrets (spider and spike) and Deployable inv stations now do damage in their explosion when they are destroyed.
    I think this is a stupid change...when things blow up they are going to hurt if you are to close!

------------------
    Member of GanG Green
    [GanG]Drewski

August Knights

Maybe the idea of exploding deployables is to discourage the building of flypaper. If the capper takes out the inv on the flag, maybe the explosion will also take out the nearby satchel?

August Knights

I've been reading stuff on forums about game balance changes in the latest patch. The claim is that the Shrike is much weaker, and heavies are moving much faster. I haven't had much T2 time since the patch to see all this by myself, but I didn't notice a big change to the Shrike. I haven't tried heavy skiing yet. What have you guys noticed in terms of changes under the new patch?

I seem to be moving a little better as a heavy though I was chalking that up to improved technique (I'll be very disappointed if it isn't ).

The jets on the Heavy do seem to last a little longer though. I haven't had any significant time with the Shrike, so can't coment there.

Turret accuracy is improved greatly, much to the shagrin of many cappers.;-) Jets have been improved slightly(longer hang time)and, wind resistance has been lowered slightly to improve sking. I have noticed a slight improvement with the heavies. As for the Shrike, I couldnt tell you, I cant fly the thing except in a straight line anyways. I stick to the grav bike as far as vehicles go for the most part. If you read the T2 forums at all, you would think that the Shrike has been nuetered and is now completely useless. Its funny tho, there sure isnt any shortage of them flying around the pubs. LOL! All in all, I think the patch is a good one, and at least 90% of the changes are for the better.