Thread: Care and feeding of my BKO (for Fax and Squidly)

Super Moderator

August Knights
    Secretary of War
    Brewmaster

Care and feeding of my BKO (for Fax and Squidly)

I could do this over PMs, but other paintball "playaz" might find some of this interesting.

Squidly: I walked out of the store with the "display" piece, which is fine. The #1 thing I was missing was a manual, but that was no problem--Indian Creek has a great website and I was able to download and print one from their PDF archive. It makes reference to a couple of maintenance accessories that it implies would come in the box. Can you check with the folks at MI the next time you're up there and see what, if anything, I missed out on by taking the floor model and see if they'd be willing to part with them (from the box of their new floor model, perhaps?)

More general questions:

-Do you guys recommend one brand of batteries over another? I'm going to stock up when I make my weekly trip to the grocery store.

-What brand of lube do you use? (on your gun--any other kind I don't want to know about. ) I knew not to use my Spyder oil on it even before I read it in the manual. Is it made from the pockets of the pocket fox or some other exotic ingredient that makes it wickedly expensive? Do I have to pay premium price at the paintball store or is there a generic bulk-size equivalent I can pick up at Home Depot on the cheap?

-Do you use a feed neck between your hopper and gun? The neck on the hopper I bought is way too big to fit into my gun--I don't think sanding is going to do it. If you don't, would it be detrimental if I did?

Thanks guys. I'm going to tweak some more this weekend.

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

"This place is like someone's memory of a town, and the memory is fading. "
    They're all floor models, Beast. My gun was a "floor model".

They take the gun out of the box and stick it up there...they don't have vast stacks of inventory in the back (The only exceptions are the Tippmanns and Spyders because they sell so many of those.) If they sell one the spot is empty until a new one comes in from the manufacturer.

I'll be going there today and I'll see if I can get you the box and stuff. As Fax can tell you - that gun doesn't come with much at all.

My gun has an Angel specific rechargable battery (like a laptop battery). I believe Fax's gun is using a standard Alkaline 9V. Any model should do. Stock up on your favorite alkalines or get rechargables - it's your choice.

My gun doesn't use oil, so I can't answer that part.

I don't use a feedneck. The idea is to get the hopper sanded just enough for a snug fit. You may need to use a dremel (I did) to sand the hopper down to size. Do it gradually and be patient, otherwise you'll end up having to use tape and shims to keep it from flopping around.
    The sun has fallen down
    And the billboards are all leering
    And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles.

Super Moderator

August Knights
    Secretary of War
    Brewmaster

Thanks, Squidly. I actually don't own a Dremel, but I have a B&D "mouse" sander--I can probably just use the tip of that and achieve a similar result. Guess I know what I'm doing this weekend.

Whaddya want from me? [AK]Faxman's Avatar
    Don't worry. Beast, you aren't missing much in the box. I had a replacement macroline, a replacement air fitting, an allen key, and an instruction manual. Let me know if you want a copy of the manual, and I'll scan it sometime this weekend.
    For lube, use generic white lithium grease, available at auto parts stores, and Home Depot. Dow also makes a slightly more expensive lubricant with similar ingredients (I think it's called Dow 33). You can get a large tube of the generic stuff for less than three dollars. Conversely, Smart Parts offers a much smaller tube of a similar nature for $7.00 + Shipping.
    If you get a PDF of the BKO breakdown it will show you what fittings to grease. The manual recommends greasing the fittings once every 5000 shots (if I remember correctly).

Super Moderator

August Knights
    Secretary of War
    Brewmaster

The manual, I've got. It's the allen key I want. I checked my standard-sized set last night, and wouldn't you know, the ONE that I'm missing (out of easily a dozen) is the size that comes in the box.

Greasing instructions is good to know. Looks like it needs a greasing every other game. I think I'll buy the big tube of pocket fox...I mean lithium grease. It doesn't dry up or otherwise spoil over time, right?

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

Ok, I got your box, manual, and a small bag of parts (the stuff that's supposed to come with it.) I don't know what's in the bag, because other than glancing I haven't looked.

BTW - if you guys are interested, On-Target is holding a "Big Game" on the Friday after Thanksgiving.
    The sun has fallen down

Super Moderator

August Knights
    Secretary of War
    Brewmaster

Awesome--thanks, Squidly. I probably won't be around to play on Friday, but hopefully Fax and I will get some Reading play in on that Saturday.

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

The bag does include an allen wrench...
    The sun has fallen down