Whilst running around looking at the newest and latest hardware yesterday, I noticed something of phenomenal interest...to me anyway. Corsair, and a couple of other manufacturers, have begun to quietly sell PC2400 DDR SDRAM. The current de facto "standard" is PC2100, which as we learned yesterday, has 2.1 GB/sec of bandwidth (2128 MB/sec = 8 bytes * 266MHz). PC2400 would have 2.4 GB/sec of throughput, making its memory clock 300MHz (2400 MB/sec = 8 bytes * 300MHz). Hence, the actual FSB speed of the motherboard (assuming the memory and system clock are synchronous) would be 150MHz.

This is, of course, all mere conjecture, but I base the assumptions on history. A few years ago, when the Intel 440BX chipset was all the rage, many manufacturers began to enhance the BX boards with the ability to go to 133MHz (over its designed 100MHz) and higher. RAM manufacturers began producing PC133 SDRAM (even though a PC133 standard did not actually exist at the time). Not long after, Intel announced that it would be producing Pentium III CPUs with 133MHz FSB support. So, could the same thing be happening now? PC2400 SDRAM and AMD 760-based boards with 150MHz FSB support lead me to be believe that something is afoot.