Thread: And it STILL sucks to be me! :)

World's Worst Speller Widowmaker's Avatar

Shades And it STILL sucks to be me! :)

I have been out from work since Tuesday. This blows. Since last friday my lymph nodes have been hugely swollen and extreemly painful both to the touch and inside my throat. I did see a doctor finaly on Tuesday and she thought I had a nasty strep throat. I dunno, I have had strep before and I never swelled up like this, feels like I have golf balls in my throat.

Personaly I think I have mumps but the doc discounted that but I have not had mumps before when I was a kid so it is a possibility (albiet small). Yesterday it began to feel better, the swelling was down a lot and it barely hurt at all. Thought I would be going into work today but this morning it has swelled up a bit again and the old pain in the neck/jaw is back. At least I got a full nights sleep last night which has not happened all week (the discomfort has been literaly keeping me up all night).

To top things off my company reduced its sick leave this year with some lame excuse, they cut sick leave in half so I will probably be using vacation time for this illness. Not to mention the fact that this week has been the LAMEST TV program selection in history so nothing to even watch on TV. Computer gaming is very uncomforatible so I don't sit here in front of the PC very often.

Well, back to the couch and heat up the old heat pad to lay on my throat again.

See you guys soon.

[AK]Widowmaker

August Knights
    Chief Recruiter

Hi Widow,

Sorry to hear that you are sick. I had something similar last year, which turned out to be an infection of enterobacter cloacae. You get it from poorly cooked food or contaminated produce.

My throat swelled up and it was almost too painful to swallow ... even water. Symptoms were apparently swollen lymph nodes and a bunch of little red bumps in the back of my throat. The doc gave me penicillin, thinking it was a normal strep infection ... and the stuff turned out to be penicillin-resistant. It was nasty. After the culture came back and the doc figured out what it was, she switched me to a drug called Cipro, which kicked the bacteria's ass.

Just an FYI. Hope you feel better soon.

[AK]Abaddon
    [AK]Abaddon

Pill

Wid...I discussed this same thing with Ab while back. Had a friend who was mistreated until I spoke to Ab and got the info. Sure enough, this guy had the same thing...changed treatment and it cleared up.

August Knights
    Chief Recruiter

Hey NR,

You never told me that! Glad it helped.

[AK]Abaddon
    [AK]Abaddon

Hey, Wid. Sorry to hear your down. As long as you're not out. Hope today finds you feeling a whole lot better.
    Dr_K

Pill

I've had the same problem for about the past year and a half now.. similar to the symptoms you've said you have. For me they always thought it was strep.. so they gave me some drug (not penicillin, I'm allergic to that) and it didn't work.. so they started using a combonation of Z-Pak and Biaxin.. it comes back every once in a while, one of my doctors even said it may be related to stress. The thing I found out that helps me is when you're better to drink water or milk a lot.. I hardly drink pop anymore cause it makes it flare up again. Another good thing is if you can eat hot food (like TV Dinner chicken thats pretty salty) and drink milk.. the milk will cover up the sores in your throat which gives it some relief. Just some things I've learned.
    Last edited by Slaughter; 07-27-2001 at 10:56 AM.
    lol, <3

Retired EQ, WoW Player.

Question

Hey, Wid. Are you feeling any better at this point? I hope so, but just wanted to check.

Dr_K

World's Worst Speller Widowmaker's Avatar

Shades

I finaly got a doctor to treat me monday of this week. As he said the first doctor I saw did not do her job. If she thought it was strep (as she told me) she should have treated the strep instead of doing nothing. He has me on anti-biotics since Monday and the infection is receeding (just like my hair line). I am not near 100% yet but at least I can sleep and I am at work today though dragging and will probably leave early. At least I seem to be recovering but it will be a while longer before I would call myself well. I have never had a sickness like this before and do not want it again.

My spare time will likely be spent on the couch in front of my TV for a few more days just to get the body healing.

Have fun,
    [AK]Widowmaker

Super Moderator

August Knights
    Secretary of War
    Brewmaster

Glad to hear you're doing better, Wid. Hope to see you back in the cockpit soon.

Accept no substitutes. [AK]Bribo's Avatar
    Chicken soup, lots of OJ and healthy does of T2 is the best medicine for what ails ya!
    [AK]Bribo

If you were a zombie and I had to kill you, I'd feel sad.