Thread: Marriages in America

Marriages in America

I oppose gay marriage for a rather unique reason: Once open, everyone will go through the floodgates. Case in point is the new media-favored lifestyle: polygamy (HBO's new drama and recent Today Show discussions) One man and multiple wives being the most popular form of this type of mariage (funny how you never hear about multiple husbands... i guess equality is not a two way street in the world of polygamy.)

Soon, you'll hear about this being a civil rights issue (hat-tip to Scott Whitlock's blog). But I say it will go one step further. Why can't I marry my sister? Marriage is about equality and fair treatment. What business is it of the government to whom I am married, right? That's the gist of the arguement.

What about a marriage to your elderly mother for tax and insurance purposes? What about the two Canadians dudes that married eachother soley for that purpose? (Funny how a gay-rights advocate blasted that idea as 'going against the purpose of marriage!).

I could see 4 college roomates all getting married so they can capitalize on the one employee's health plan. And if marriage and divorce are so simple, what about immigration control. The days of the immigration officer trying to ensure that the marriage isn't a scam would be outlawed as invasive and a violation of privacy. Throw polygamy into the mix and I could just go to Mexico... marry about 50 women (charging them each about 10 million pesos) and them bringing them home with me.

Could I join together with my fellow homeowners and collectivly marry eachother? At what point would business say, "No... we're not going to cover this person?" They can't limit by sex, age, marital status, number of dependents. Where's the controls?

Oh the joy!

Scott's blog entry: http://newsbusters.org/node/4545

August Knights

Unfortunately, Nuts, your opinion and mine don't matter. The strategy is for the judges to tell us rabble that marriage is too important an issue for us to decide. It's like abortion that way: The debate is over whether to allow a debate.
    Organize Aggressively,
    [AK]Leonidas