Thread: TSA - Rant On

TSA - Rant On

Sorry, just need to rant.

I dropped my wife, 2 year old son and 3 month old daughter off at the airport a few minutes ago (San Jose). I got a pass to allow me to go through security with them (Wife had the stroller, car seat and two kids... she needed the help.) I knew there was a rule about no liquids except for babies. But get a load of this. She can bring formula (powder added to water) but not water & formula seperate. WTF? Brand new 12oz bottle of water with seal and a container of powdered baby formula are not allowed. However, if you combine the two to form an opaque liquid... that's okay. What a frickin' joke. There is no longer any common sense applied to the TSA and their regulations.
    It would be like not permitting a man to bring a knife blade and a handle onto an airplane, but if puts the two together, well... hell, that's okay.

And what about the stupid 3oz rule for liquids and gels? They say that 3oz isn't enough to blow up a plane. Jesus H. Christ, let's pray that terrorist don't have friends. Because... and I'm not too good with math... but if 10 terrorists each board a south bound plane traveling at 550mph and each terrorist is carrying 3oz of liquified explosives, then combined, the terrorists carry a total of 30oz of explosives... right?

I read the newest TSA rules prior to leaving on my vacation. Carmex is not allowed, yet you can bring 8oz of personal lubricant ( i.e. KY jelly)

my question, why on earth would you need 8oz of KY jelly on an airplane?
    hmmm
    "]

I just realized... no wife/kids for the next couple of weeks. Game On! I'll be in POE in the evenings... check vent.

Real men wear dresses and shout phrases such as "Pwnd!!" and "I need a cleanse!!"

Tie that skirt on cup cake, and level your warlock.
    "]

August Knights
    The old Man in the War [AK]Rocks's Avatar

Nutz,, I should have taken u out for a drink,, I was in San fran all last week.

How about bf2142 demo?

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

"This place is like someone's memory of a town, and the memory is fading. "
    I also was in San Fran all last week. Small world.

People complain about odd rules, then if something were to happen, they'd complain about the lack of the proper odd rules. Last year it was nailclippers and removal of shoes. A few years before that it was the inconvenience of having to remove our laptops from their bags. Now it's liquids.

I've sort of come to the conclusion that flying is always going to be uncomfortable and inconvenient to a degree. It's not like being driven in a limo from your house to your destination, and it probably never will be.
    The sun has fallen down
    And the billboards are all leering
    And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles.

Accept no substitutes. [AK]Bribo's Avatar
    The rules don't bother me. If it keeps me and my family safe during our flight I'm willing to forgo some of the conveniences I am used to.

Just make sure not to pack a yoga mat in your carry on! (Stitch!)
    [AK]Bribo

If you were a zombie and I had to kill you, I'd feel sad.

Quote Originally Posted by [AK]Squidly
    I also was in San Fran all last week. Small world.

People complain about odd rules, then if something were to happen, they'd complain about the lack of the proper odd rules. Last year it was nailclippers and removal of shoes. A few years before that it was the inconvenience of having to remove our laptops from their bags. Now it's liquids.

I've sort of come to the conclusion that flying is always going to be uncomfortable and inconvenient to a degree. It's not like being driven in a limo from your house to your destination, and it probably never will be.
    I'm all for rules. But to abide by rules that make no sense (scientifically speaking) is retarded. Uncomfortable and inconvenient does not explain the lack of basic services such as drinking water and restroom facilities being alloted to travelers. The gates in question had no... repeat... NO services as the airport was not designed to accomadate the type of security measures that are in place. To sit back and say, 'that's just the way it is' is unreasonable. A reasonable person says, 'this is not right and it needs to be changed.' A reasonable person understands that there is no chemical difference between powdered infant formula and bottled water if the two are mixed together.

I know that it's not like driving in a limo... did you assume that my frame of reference as to what I should expect at the airport is so scewed as to think that it would be like the Hilton? Common sense and reasonable thought are not in play with TSA regulations.

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Operations Officer

"This place is like someone's memory of a town, and the memory is fading. "
    Unfortunately, it's a tough task to inspect thousands of users a day, particularly when the scanners are low-paid and under educated.

Making simple, on-size-fits-all rules is probably the most reasonable way to 'split the baby' between safety and convenience.

I can't speak to bathrooms and water access, as at the airports I've visited, both were in ample supply past the security checkpoints.
    The sun has fallen down
    And the billboards are all leering
    And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles.

Good points. I heard/read that for a lot of TSA screeners it's a complete power trip. As you said, these are underpaid, un-educated (for the most part and based on my observations) employees. Think about it. You face minimum wage people in places such as Wendy's, movie theaters, and convenience stores where they face average, everyday Americans from across the spectrum. Suddenly, you have these same people given absolute control over people that are going on pricey vacations or important business meetings. TSA screeners must envy these people that are dashing off to Maui or spending 10k on a ticket to Sydney while they're stuck in their little dead-end jobs. I always keep my mouth closed and am ready long before it's my turn at the metal detector (belt, watch, shoes, etc). But I can certainly see how TSA screener's attitudes could set some folks of. I had a $10k ticket to go from SFO to Narita roundtrip first class and I can't bring my 10oz bottled water with me? Ya, I'd be pissed too.