Thread: Two questions

Two questions

Hey all -

I have 2 questions that I'm sure ya'll can help me with. I know enough about computers to get myself in trouble, but not much more.

First - I've got 2 computers using a wireless/ethernet router to access the internet. When we first set it up, it had a password and all that jazz to access the internet but after moving and other stuff, the program seems to have mysteriously disappeared and while we can still access the internet there isn't a password required. Since I can't uninstall a program that isn't there (and start from scratch), how do I make it require a password again so other folks can't use it?

Second - Once all this is fixed how do I set it up so that computer 2 can use the printer attached to computer 1?

I'm probably missing something really easy, but I'd rather do it correctly than try to get tricky and REALLY screw something up.

Thanks!!!!!!
    "Try to walk a mile in a healer's sandals.
    That way, you'll be a mile ahead of them.
    And out of range for heals.
    And die.
    And blame it on them."
    ~Coreiel
    <WoW CM>

***Taking a small gaming break while I play the ultimate RTS...Parenthood***

Overpowered to the core! [AK]Bojan's Avatar
    When I setup my wireless network, peer to peer, the only password needed was the one for the router. Once you have setup that information on either computer you shouldnt have to redo it unless the password changed and or someone plays with it.

Also word of advice change the default password on your routers, I know alot of folks dont.

Hmm any idea where to look to change the default password?
    And die.
    And blame it on them."
    ~Coreiel
    <WoW CM>

By password I take it you mean to access the wireless network? It sounds like at some point maybe your router was reset and that you have no form of security on the wireless network. Hmmm How to explain this in Forum talk =)

If that is in fact the case you'll need (someone) to access the router and re-enable the security settings.

Networking the printer is probably the easiest part. keeping in mind that the 2 computers in your house are on the network and talking its just a matter of going to control panel / Printers and faxes on the PC that the printer is hooked too. Right click the printer in question and choose "Sharing." Click the little bubble beside "share this printer".....Hit Apply...and....O.k. You should notice a little hand under the printer icon at this point meaning it is in fact a shared device. You can now go to the other computer. Same thing.....Control panel / Printers and Faxes and choose "Add Printer" When asked what type of printer your adding choose Network Printer. Click next to browse for network printers and hopefully it'll find the printer on the other PC.

Easy enough right? Now I'm exausted =)

I do have Webex here at work so if you need me to do it remotely let me know, I can beam on in and fix er right up =)

Yup, that's what I mean Brorlis (I think, lol). I just know that when Kidd came over he was able to access our connection w/o a password and that concerned me.

So, what the heck needs to happen next?
    And die.
    And blame it on them."
    ~Coreiel
    <WoW CM>

Well hell thats your problem......Kidd was involved =)

Check your Messages. My office numbers in there. Call me if you don't feel comfy messing with it yourself =)

Ok, so I get really excited for a minute... after running network wizards and searching the web for the correct driver...the printer is shared and all is good w/ the world. Reality check - when I print something either the program (any microsoft affice app) encounters a problem and shuts down OR if I use notepad, the printer starts shooting out paper like it's possessed. Can I cry or would it just be better to start the Jim Beam therapy session?

Thanks for the help Brorlis. I'll give you a holler when I get this glitch figured out.
    And die.
    And blame it on them."
    ~Coreiel
    <WoW CM>

try a different printer driver first

I went the the HP site and used their little "check out what the heck you're using wizard" and it said that I have all the updates and driver that I need so, ya... WoW needs to come back online so that I can play w/ fixing my addons, I know how that works!!
    And die.
    And blame it on them."
    ~Coreiel
    <WoW CM>

You running XP on both machines? If not you may need to load a second driver like Choo said.

Never trust the ol' Let your PC tell you what you need =)

*edit* Better yet.....start the Beam Session. A good excuse to go to therapy is hard to come by these days !!!!

WOOT!!!! I swear the Jim is the best PC tech out there... One drink down a few random buttons pressed and holy cow, things are printing!!

With ya'lls help I have officially been productive today.
    And die.
    And blame it on them."
    ~Coreiel
    <WoW CM>

YAY!!! I even got the router security stuff set up. Thank ya'll for helping me out and being patient w/ me.
    And die.
    And blame it on them."
    ~Coreiel
    <WoW CM>

Grats! Hell you figured out more in a day than most of my techs can figure out in a week....Lookin for a job?