Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

5 26.32%
  • No!

4 21.05%
  • Depends on who else gets it

6 31.58%
  • Who is StitchJones and why is he posting polls?

4 21.05%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battlefield 2142

Who is Nuts and Abbadon? [AK]StitchJones's Avatar

Battlefield 2142

Okay here is a poll to see if anyone might be picking this up or if you are on the fence about it.

My opinion:

$49 for a mod, based on a buggy engine with a ton of known cheats and glitches distributed by EA which has refused to properly support their existing title (BF:2). Patch after Patch, corrupted rankings filled with padders and cheaters, absurd system requirement... no thanks.

The concept of 2142 is nice... the Titan mode is a cool addition, but if I wanted Quake, I'd play Quake.

Super Moderator

August Knights
    Secretary of War
    Brewmaster

I'm probably going to get this--I haven't seen all of the same problems to the same extent as Nuts (probably because I don't play as often as he does) and I've enjoyed the entire BF series to date, including BF Vietnam.

Seems like a mod and nothing more so i wont be running out to buy it. My bf2 however runs flawless even with my pretty serious day to day clock settings. ATI munches BF2 even maxed.

Not really needing it even i am pricing another gig of ram and cpu for Christmas just for 3g+ hz's and oviously more mb's never hurt.

One can get both a single core badazz clocker and 1 gig low latency DDR for around 225 shipped which is pretty awesome. It would be double the cpu cache, double system ram with around 20%+ more cpu speed for my machine. Probably a worthwhile upgrade i reckon.

Ive been playing on La Cantina server here and there. I like that server because they have very good anti smaktard rules and run alot of good maps.

Speaking of mods how about this P.O.E is it worth messing with?

Super Moderator

August Knights
    Secretary of War
    Brewmaster

I've enjoyed it as a diversion, but I kind of like the "level treadmill" of classic BF2 and Special Forces. I'm back into WWII Online right now, so I haven't been playing much BF2 or Company of Heroes lately.

Quote Originally Posted by [AK]Cruiser
    Speaking of mods how about this P.O.E is it worth messing with?
    I'm all POE right now. It brought back all of the great team play and none of the stat padders are there. Good mix of maps with three excellent infantry only offerings (Fallen, Spies Like Us, Orel). Aircraft can not dominate like in Vanilla BF2 thanks to great AA and stingers. However, finding populated servers on my day off is tough as most don't fill up until the evenings.

Be aware, it appears BF2142 comes with spyware, in addition to the build in adware.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/ba...42/review.html

On a peculiar note, even though the world is ending in 2142, it appears that advertising will still be around. Battlefield 2142 features in-game ads, though we didn't get to see them firsthand during our testing. Still, there is a printed disclaimer that comes with the game telling you that Battlefield 2142 will analyze certain "advertising data" on your machine to determine what ads to display to you. Ironically, EA says that if you don't want your data shared with its advertising partner then "do not install or play the software on any platform that is used to connect to the Internet." But that would pretty much defeat the purpose of playing Battlefield 2142, wouldn't it? Of course, you could always play single-player against the artificial intelligence, though the AI won't be mistaken for human opponents any time soon, and the single-player is still limited to 16-player maps. Still, this is an example of things to come, as we begin to see dynamic in-game ads appear in more and more games.
    http://www.shacknews.com/ja.zz?id=13049860
    Ditguidice - Hand of A'dal, Champion of the Naaru ///// Soulquencher - Hand of A'dal, Knight Captain.

"I will not sacrifice the Enterprise. We've made too many comprimisises already, too many retreats. They invade our space and we fall back. They assmilate entire worlds and we fall back. Not again. The line must be drawn here! This far, no farther!"

Ya, saw this one on /. this morning too. Nice. You pay for a new game (which is technically a mod) filled with hackers, padders and glitchers and then they are going to be serving you ads. Nice.

"I sharded Thunderfury!" [AK]Camelwalk's Avatar
    Why cant they make a game we all like again that doesnt cost you to spend so much time playing and doesnt suck and no adware spyware, and no monthly fees, and brings all AK back, and dosent sux (longest runon sentence in history) and is not glitchy, and uses real teamwork, and no smacktards,and have fun like the old days?????? WHY WHY WHY!!!!

Accept no substitutes. [AK]Bribo's Avatar
    Counter Strike: Source anyone?
    [AK]Bribo

If you were a zombie and I had to kill you, I'd feel sad.

I figure I'll pick it up, since I've upgraded my machine and the days of gloom and doom are upon everything in Seattle except the Seahawks...

I never really played BF2 enough to get good at it. Still will go back to it somewhat, though.
    Hasta,
    Boom

Administrator
    August Knights
    Chief Executive Officer

We should have a CS:Source night. I could host it.

August Knights
    The old Man in the War [AK]Rocks's Avatar

As always, already brought and installed!

Super Moderator

August Knights
    Secretary of War
    Brewmaster

Quote Originally Posted by [AK]Palooka
    We should have a CS:Source night. I could host it.
    I'd be down for that as well. Hey, I ponied up the dough for the silver HL2 package, I might as well use it!

Accept no substitutes. [AK]Bribo's Avatar
    Most of us already own CS:Source (or HL2) so it's a natural one for an AK gaming night. Let's plan something for next week.

UPDATE: EAs response to the "spyware" claim

The advertising program in Battlefield 2142 does not access any files which are not directly related to the game. It does not capture personal data such as cookies, account login detail, or surfing history.

BF 2142 delivers ads by region. The advertising system uses a player's IP address to determine the region of the player, assisting to serve the appropriate ads by region and language. For instance, a player in Paris might be presented with ads in French. The information collected will not be repurposed for other uses.

Battlefield 2142 also tracks "impression data" related to in-game advertisements: location of a billboard in the game, brand advertised, duration of advertisement impression, etc. This information is used to help advertisers qualify the reach of a given advertisement.
    Last edited by [AK]Bribo; 10-18-2006 at 11:15 AM.
    [AK]Bribo

If you were a zombie and I had to kill you, I'd feel sad.