Thread: Orlando, FL

Orlando, FL

My immediate family and I will be flying from Oregon over to the Orlando area for a family reunion in the beginning of January. Having never been to the state I was wondering if anyone more familiar with the area would have any suggestions of things to do/see/make sure to not miss, etc. I'll have a few days to spend sight-seeing, doing touristy things, and whatnot. Options are both alone and with the folks/sibling.
    As it's highly unlikely I'll be back to the east coast for quite a while I'm looking for a few good tips.

Thanks for any ideas.
    Ditguidice - Hand of A'dal, Champion of the Naaru ///// Soulquencher - Hand of A'dal, Knight Captain.

"I will not sacrifice the Enterprise. We've made too many comprimisises already, too many retreats. They invade our space and we fall back. They assmilate entire worlds and we fall back. Not again. The line must be drawn here! This far, no farther!"

August Knights

Hi KB,
    I am not a native of the area, but I attend dealer meetings every year down there and have had the family down for vacations to Disney twice in 5 years.... Won't be doing it again for a while because it's so darn expensive...

Anyway, definitely get over to Seaworld!!! Between the whale shows and the rides it's great!!! MGM is another great time!!
    My favorite park in Disney is Epcot. Go around the world drinking beers is where it's at!!!

Hope that helps!!

August Knights
    Chief Recruiter

Try to make it to Giordano's Pizza. It's really good, Chicago-style deep-dish pizza.

I was not impressed by Universal Studios when I went to Orlando. Very pricey, short rides and long lines. I think Disney and Seaworld are probably better.
    [AK]Abaddon

I went to Epcot as a kid and still don't buy into all the negative hype. It's not as bad as they say but bring lots of $$$... you can eat and drink your way around the world!

If you can catch Universal during the off-peak season its well worth the money; Short lines, great rides at Islands of Adventure, and you can do both parks in one day easily.

Of course, same can be said for the Disney parks during off-peak season; All the lines are short (longest we waited was 45min for Pirates of the Caribbean, and this was 2 weeks ago, everything else was no more than 10) and you can easily visit multiple parks in one day.
    lol, <3

Retired EQ, WoW Player.

The only thing I can recommend is that you bring earplugs on the flight.

After being on more than one airplane into Orlando filled with screaming children, I can only describe my experiences as miserable cacophony.

Earplugs are a must... unless you like that sort of thing. :-)

It REALLY sucks when you're doing a direct flight from Seattle and you forgot the damn things.
    Hasta,
    Boom

Heh, thanks for the tip Sonic, and the suggestions everyone. Hopefully it won't be all that crowded on the plane and in town w/ it being after the holidays. But I think I'll go ahead and invest in a pair of 'em regaurdless.
    Ditguidice - Hand of A'dal, Champion of the Naaru ///// Soulquencher - Hand of A'dal, Knight Captain.

"I will not sacrifice the Enterprise. We've made too many comprimisises already, too many retreats. They invade our space and we fall back. They assmilate entire worlds and we fall back. Not again. The line must be drawn here! This far, no farther!"