Thread: JServ/Apache failover for servlet sessions

*IX*MeatHooK

JServ/Apache failover for servlet sessions

I know that there are a few software engineers here in AK so I though I would ask a technical questions I need an answer to for work!

---

Is the session state of a servlet cluster-wide when using JServ/Apache cluster (using mod_jserv)?

I know that with BEA Weblogic, the session state of a servlet is cluster-wide and any invocation of a servlet can be handled by any instance available in the cluster. This obviously allows for transparent failover and load-balancing. (IBM Websphere behaves the same way.)

I know that JServ/Apache does support load-balancing, but the failover to maintain servlet session I have no clue. The only way I know to maintain persistent session (in JServ/Apache) is to actually implemented it via code (e.g. by saving session information to a database accessible by all JServ servers).

Accept no substitutes. [AK]Bribo's Avatar
    Not sure on JServ/Apache. In IBM WebSphere, the session state can be made persistent automatically by a setting on the Servlet Engine. The session is then stored in the database. Multiple app servers who share the same database can all access the session info. So if you lose an app server as long as the web server can route the request to any app server in the cluster the session state is maintained. No special application coding required.

I'll check with some people on JServ and get back to you.
    [AK]Bribo

If you were a zombie and I had to kill you, I'd feel sad.