Thread: Train Snow Plow

Train Snow Plow

FightClub... do you do any of this stuff on your run? Looks pretty fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF2ZPRmocs4

I was called for snow service(which is what this is) one time. It is waaay to dangerous. We run these every day during snow storms over the summit up around Truckee, Ca (5000ft and above). These trains derail and go off the tracks all the time. 3 times this past winter hurting all crew members of 2 out of the 3 trains. The problem is when the snow is being thrown it always comes back on the front windows and you have to lift the plow over every road crossing due to the cement pads. Well you cant lift the plow if you cant see. So you smack the crossing and come off the rail and usually travel a few hundred feet before stopping. Another problem up on the Tahoe summit is there are so many corners and you have to be going at least 35mph which regular track speed is 25 up there. That’s fast up there. So blind corners are very dangerous. 1 conductor died last winter 2005-2006 due to the snow engine ran into the rear of another train stopped on the main line. Power came off the tracks and went down a canyon. Engineer was in critical for many months. All because they couldn’t see and came around a blind corner.

Its crazy. One time was enough for me. Besides there is no extra pay for it. Sorry Ill stay warm if I’m getting paid the same. It is cool covering cars at crossings as you blow by though

August Knights
    Chief Recruiter

The plows they run across Donner Pass look a lot more impressive.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...icial%26sa%3DN
    [AK]Abaddon

Those are the old ones. We rarely use those type anymore.I see them in Roseville,Ca yard. There use to be one parked up in Truckee for a long time but it got vandalized to much. Funny thing is they were alot safer units. I am not sure why they dont use them much anymore. They can throw some snow. I think Tahoe complaind about the snow being thrown was tearing down trees.

Holy Crap! A Union job that doesn't give bonus pay for hazardous hours? Dude, that sucks. I wouldn't go either. I guess it would be fun on the straight runs, but a twisted track through the mountains + big risk of death + no extra pay = ass at home. Why do people volunteer?

There assigned and not volunteer's. Its hard to explain but we all work different runs with assigned people on those runs (aka boards) which everyone is always on call. There is a board that covers just extra jobs (like snow service) and layoffs. Layoffs means that if someone lays off on a regular board than the next person inline on the extra board gets the train. Working the extra board is very profitable but you also get called on some crappy runs along with the high paying runs. Snow service is usually called on duty from the extra board. The railroad is such a different world than a regular job lol. I hope this made sense.

Here is one with the rotary plow working.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frBh5...elated&search=

These can throw some snow.