Thread: Internet connection is not doing very well - lost packets

Administrator
    August Knights
    Assistant Recruiter

Internet connection is not doing very well - lost packets

The last few days my internet connection has turned very bad. Ventrillo doesn't hardly work at all, WoW disconnects me a lot. This occurs consistently, regardless of what programs or on-line activity I'm doing.

AVG Virus scanner and SpyBot both say all is clear. I even did a system rollback, to no avail.

Procexp.exe shows no obvious programs that I can see are the problem.
    TCPView.exe shows no obvious bandwidth hogs.

run command.exe and typing "ping www.yahoo.com" shows 43 ms ping for 3 hits, then one hit with nothing - lost packet.

Modem, router, and cable have all been unplugged and replugged.

Any suggestions?
    [insert signature text here]

It's been a while since i've done ts for cable 'net connections, but if you call 'em they can reset a couple things on their end that may clear it up if it's not something on your end.

They'll of course ask you to directly connect your modem to your computer, bypassing any network setup you may have.. i usually dont bother with that if it's not convient to do so, as the hub/router likely isnt the issue. they wont know the difference if you tell 'em otherwise.
    Ditguidice - Hand of A'dal, Champion of the Naaru ///// Soulquencher - Hand of A'dal, Knight Captain.

"I will not sacrifice the Enterprise. We've made too many comprimisises already, too many retreats. They invade our space and we fall back. They assmilate entire worlds and we fall back. Not again. The line must be drawn here! This far, no farther!"

Accept no substitutes. [AK]Bribo's Avatar
    When this happens to me I usually call the cable company. It's usually some bit of strangeness either outside on the pole or with my router. This usually happens to me once a year and it always seems to require some servicing from TW.
    [AK]Bribo

If you were a zombie and I had to kill you, I'd feel sad.

Administrator
    August Knights
    Assistant Recruiter

Quote Originally Posted by [AK]Katanas Blade View Post

They'll of course ask you to directly connect your modem to your computer, bypassing any network setup you may have.. i usually dont bother with that if it's not convient to do so, as the hub/router likely isnt the issue. they wont know the difference if you tell 'em otherwise.
    wellll... They actually are OK with routers, but if you do say no, they figure out it anyway when they start asking IP information and you sorta look like an idiot - so don't do this. (ask me how I just found that out)

Overpowered to the core! [AK]Bojan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by [AK]Clay View Post
    wellll... They actually are OK with routers, but if you do say no, they figure out it anyway when they start asking IP information and you sorta look like an idiot - so don't do this. (ask me how I just found that out)

How did you just find that out?

Administrator
    August Knights
    Assistant Recruiter

After an hour on the phone and a day waiting for a rep to come to my house, they concluded that yep, there's something wrong. And that the problem is on their end.

Here is a pic that shows how bad the packet losses were...

Looks like as of this evening, they finally fixed the dang thing.
    Attached Images Attached Images