Spain's display of cowardice -- electing a president who promises to pull troops out of Iraq right after a large terrorist attack, thereby rolling over and giving the terrorists a clear victory -- makes me thank God there is a nation in this world with an ounce of courage and resolve. Of course, the US isn't the only country fitting this bill; Poland has shown that it is a brave and dependable ally by promising to commit even more troops to compensate for Spain's retreat. I think Poland's experiences with nazism and communism have taught them the value of freedom, and unlike much of the rest of Europe, their memories of oppression and atrocities have not faded to oblivion.

This Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero wacko has stated that the occupation of Iraq has been "disastrous." Let me get this straight. The establishment of a governing council, the signing of a constitution and bill of rights, the establishment of a large police force and an army, the repair and improvement of Iraq's infrastructure (the country has more power at its disposal than it did before the war), the re-opening of every primary school, university, and hospital (along with raises to teachers and doctors), the founding of more than 170 newspapers (all of which are free to print what they wish, a luxury not previously available in Iraq), and many other signs of progress are all merely components in one great big disaster. Of course, Mr. Zapatero and all the leftists who agree with him have no grasp of history. If they did, they would realize that Iraq has enjoyed more progress in its journey to freedom, security, and prosperity in six months than Japan or Germany did in several years. Would Zapatero argue that US occupation in Japan and Germany (which, incidentally, continues to this day) has proven disastrous?

Unfortunately, al Qaeda's victory in Spain has no doubt enboldened them to attempt similar operations in other coalition nations. How much death and destruction will it take for western civilivation to come to the realization that it must defeat the forces that seek to destroy it in order to secure peace?